skip to content
  1. Home
  2. >
  3. Investment Q&A
You can view 3 more answers this month. Sign up for a free trial for unlimited access.

Investment Q&A

Not investment advice or solicitation to buy/sell securities. Do your own due diligence and/or consult an advisor.

Q: I want to crystalize tax losses in my non-reg account. Can you please suggest good proxies for IYT, VTV, VEA, and IWO? Thanks.

Read Answer Asked by Michael on September 28, 2022

Q: Hi Everyone at 5i!!! With Bidenís objective to enhance American infrastructure, what companies and ETFs stand to benefit from this and which would be the best ones to invest in? The list can include the stocks that provide the raw materials to this project as well. Thank you , Tamara

Read Answer Asked by Tamara on August 30, 2021

Q: Hello Peter,

We are seeking advice on how to play the infastructure game now that Biden confirmed on Sunday that it is a stand-alone deal. We are light on Steel, Industrials, Manufacturing, Aerospace, Transportation, Materials, and 5G. We have some green energy with BEP.UN & AQN. We will reshuffle the deck by reducing Tech stocks to accommodate the shift.

Can you rank the following stocks in the categories 1st to last and add any other stocks that may be a better choice than those listed
Steel: RS, NUE, SCHN
Industrials: DD, HON (+ any other suggestions)
Aerospace: LMT, BA
Transportation: WSP, TFII, UNP, CNR, CP (+ any other suggestions)
Materials: CX (+ any other suggestions)
Manufacturing: (suggestions please)

My last question is ask your opinion of the top 8 stocks (please rank) for the infastructure deal regardless of the sector.

Thank you for your great service.

Debbie and Jerry

Read Answer Asked by Jerry on June 28, 2021

Q: Am I missing any major sectors with these stock investments?
Where should I focus if I would like to ensure a diverse portfolio?
Are there any stocks that I should dump?

Read Answer Asked by grace on April 27, 2021

Q: Hello Peter, Union Pacific, after some fairly steady improvement since COVID and over recent years, despite being a large and not overly expensive company, has dropped about 12 percent in the last few days. I know stocks don't just go up, but this seemed unexpected and company-specific. I am thinking of adding. Any thoughts - either to account for the drop or whether you think it might be a good purchase at this time. Thanks!

Read Answer Asked by James on October 23, 2020

Q: Interesting question/answer on Oct 1 "I would like to have a little fun with this question. Imagine a boxing match between Canadian companies and American companies". Can you please answer the winners among Netflix/Disney; Amazon/Shopify; Union Pacific/CP; AirCanada/delta. Thanks

Read Answer Asked by Naren on October 06, 2020

Q: Thanks for the News Update. and it mentions adding Industrials. For that last few weeks, I'm pondering adding industrial positions to my balanced, diversified US portfolio. I assigned a 15% weighting to the US industrial sector. My current positions are UTX at 4.6% weighting and FDX at 2.6% These two total 7.2% and as a result, I could add 7.8%. Please provide a few US names in this sector for my consideration, including adding to bring FDX to 4%........Appreciate you insights....Tom

Read Answer Asked by Tom on October 03, 2018

Q: Hello Folks;
Do you an have opinion on Northern Pacific Railway. Currently I have a 5% position in CSX railway and considering selling my 5% position in Parkland Fuel for Northern Pacific, as Parkland appears to have topped out. What is your thinking on such a trade..... CN and CP appear to offer more limited scope. I realize rails are riskier bellweather industrial stocks than a Parkland Fuel, Boyd Collision etc. I My uncertainty results from concern of whether the US economy continues itís upward momentum. Do you consider a 10% allotement to US rails excessive?
Thank you for your great service

Read Answer Asked by Brian on May 04, 2018